Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog finished a 2 week course of abx, doxycycline last

Customer Question

Hi, my dog finished a 2 week course of abx, doxycycline last Monday for kennel cough. Since Thursday she's been vomiting and having liquid stools. They are now bloody. She won't eat much. I've tried rice applesauce. I gave her pepcid ac this morning. She's a 75-80# ***** lab. Would the antibiotics caused this kind of reaction?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Star
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Star?
Customer: No, she's normally healthy. She will be 8 in Nov. Drinking water OK. Energy low.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that Star is having vomiting and diarrhea. Doxycycline can cause vomiting, especially if taken on an empty stomach, but not usually diarrhea with blood.

Is she eating?

Is the cough better?

You can see if stopping the antibiotics helps. You can treat the vomiting with the Pepcid (20 mg twice daily) but that will not help diarrhea. You can try 1 Imodium tablet or 1 tablespoon of Pepto Bismal for the diarrhea.

If she is not eating, or if her gums look pale to you, I would recommend having her checked by her veterinarian.

Please let me know if this helps and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my answer! How is Star doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?