Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog have diarrhea and I dont know if its because of her

Customer Question

My dog have diarrhea and I dont know if its because of her treats (bully sticks, bones, etc.) she's only 8weeks old - Goldendoodle. :/
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there any first aid or medicine that I need to give her?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- What kind of bones are you giving her?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing at all. She's normal but pooping like crazy and its very watery. Gave her bully sticks and beef bones.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Angelique, it is possible that diarrhea can be caused by the bully sticks or beef bones. The main concern is the beef bone because it can become obstructed and rupture the intestines. Other possible common causes in a puppy are parasites, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with a veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter