Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs dew claw is torn-he's been limping and licking at…

Customer Question
My dogs dew claw...

My dogs dew claw is torn-he's been limping and licking at it, but I'm not comfortable ripping off the excess b/c it still looks like half is still attached, and I'm afraid I'll do more hurt than good. I was trying to avoid taking hm o vet bc I csn't afford it..this has happened many times before, but he's acting more in pain than usual..Is there anything I can do until I can take him to vet tomorrow morming?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Its just the dew claw, it looks like.. i have a pic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Nope. he's healthy as a horse, mcnab breed, I had his back dew claws removed when he was a pup, but the front ones I kept, unfort. the front dew claw ripped about a year ago, and now it's the other front leg..

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
he's just been standing in one place and now he's panting. Usually he won't stop moving, busy guy, and its clear he's in discomfort. How do I remove this ? Should I remove it? One of his worst pet peeves is people touching his feet, so trying to have myself or my roommate hold him while the other removes the nail is going to be extremely difficult. I don't wana stress him out anymore than need be,
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the pic. This is best addressed by clipping the nail between the nail bed and fracture site and then cauterizing the bleeding quick with Quik-Stop or a similar cautery powder found where pet supplies are sold. This will be painful and so he should be muzzled and restrained when you do this. If the fracture extends into the nail bed, the entire nail sheath needs to be removed lest paronychia (nail bed infection) arises. That would be done under light anesthesia by his vet.

In terms of analgesia, you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.