Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shes walking really funny like her middle section is hunched…

Customer Question
Shes walking really funny...

Shes walking really funny like her middle section is hunched up sje can barely walk shes only 9 mo. Shes crying

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Shes a pit shepard mix rescue from pound

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the pit's name and age?

Shes 9 mo and her name is ***** ***** not the noise so much as the fact she cannt walk n her back is all arched up really high

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sofie?

9 months

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Is sofie spayed?

Is her vulva swollen?

Has she had any unusual treats like fatty foods, bones, pigs ears, etc?

Does she have any other symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea?

Is she eating and drinking?

No sjes not spayed n mo vomitting. She jad diarreah a couple days ago but it was back to normal before this started

Hi again and thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

A dog adopts a hunched back appearance for a few different reasons including abdominal pain and disc issues. Some breeds like dachshunds, chihuahuas, terriers, etc are more prone to disc issues than other breeds so you might investigate this if she is also avoiding stairs and jumping as well.

There are several causes for abdominal pain such as pancreatitis, extreme gas and swallowed foreign objects or issues from items such pig's ear, rawhide boens, etc

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated. You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now she is at the right age to be going into heat. A female in heat for the first time sometimes does have difficult heat cycles and it can seem like they are very uncomfortable. You can let your female curl up with a warm water bottle or warm towel on her belly. Many dogs in heat exhibit behavioral changes and cry but the crying is due to the urge to mate and not being able to. So if her vulva is swollen or starting to swell, she may be experiencing her first heat cycle and is uncomfortable.

If she has eaten a non food item or pig ear/rawhide item, it might be causing pain in the gastrointestinal tract. If she stops eating, starts vomiting or has a lot of diarrhea or unable to defecate, you will want to have her seen to rule out an obstruction.

Now check her rectum as well. Swelling around the rectal area can cause anal gland issues and if they are swollen a dog might walk a little weird. So you might investigate that possibility as well. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.marvistavet.com/anal-sacs.pml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Hopefully it is just her coming into heat and not something more serious.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner