How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jadedangel57 Your Own Question
jadedangel57, owner
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19832
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
jadedangel57 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am supposed to pick up my bulldog pup on Friday when he

Customer Question

I am supposed to pick up my bulldog pup on Friday when he will be 9 weeks old... I got a call from the breeder yesterday that he has puppy strangles so pick will need to be delayed.
The breeder has been breeding for 25 years and all her dogs ( including the parents of my pup) are all grand champions.. She has NEVER had a car of this in any of her litters.The case is very mild.. he does not have lesions Basically his face is swollen as are his lymph nodes.. He has no fever and is eating , drinking and playing as usual.I should say that this pup is show quality and will be shown as were his parents.. The breeders vet said that this should not affect his show potential and should not have any lingering effects since it is a mild case... Luckily the breeder took hi to a vet right away,He is being treated with prednisone and clavmox. I was offered a refund of my deposit but I refused since I have been in loe with pup since his birth. I lost my 11 year old bulldog to cancer several months ago and I could not lose another one and go through that heartbreak again..How long does it usually take to resolve..? Remember it is a mild case.... I am just curious when I can expect to be able to bring him home. I have pictures of what he looks like but not sure how to attach...Thank youAny other info you can provide would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It can take several weeks of treatment for the situation to resolve. I know you are attached to this particular pup but scaring where postules are is very common. Since you do plan on this dog being a show dog, I would opt for a pup from a future litter rather than this one. In addition, the steroids at this young age will affect the pup's immune system which is already immature opening the pup up to other conditions such as demodectic mage, etc. It is ultimately your choice whether to accept this pup or not but if you have plans on showing be aware of the fact that this pup may have permanent scars from puppy strangles which may be evident later.

Since this breeder has a breeding program composed of all grand champions it should not take her long to have another litter of comparable pups. In addition, this pup is already 9 weeks old so it would delay your pick up for a few more weeks.

I can give you several articles on puppy strangles for you to read though you may have already done this.

This article does discuss mild cases and more severe cases of the disease. It also mentions that it believed to be the result of a lower immune response. As I mentioned above that pups with a lower or more immature immune response are more likely to develop other issues like demodectic mange and possibly allergies. If you are looking to show your dog, it is likely you will want to breed the dog in the future. I would not advise breeding a dog who developed mange or had a lowered immune response.

Remember also that many vets will hold off vaccination while the pup is recovering which will open the pup up to other diseases such as distemper and parvovirus, etc. I know you love this particular pup and if you were planning on a pet only, I would say go with your heart, but you are interested in a pup for the show ring and possible breeding later in life so I would recommend waiting for a healthy pup.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.
Hi Diane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Things are improving... Swelling is down and no new lesions have developed.. vet prescribed a topical ointment as well... He said it should resolve within 2 weeks ( it will be a week tomorrow) and there will be no long term effects... He is on 2 mg of Prednisone and clavamox( not sure of dosage) I am hoping to pick him up next weekend.