Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 17 year old 14 pound poodle tried to get to a terro ant

Customer Question
bait package that I had...
My 17 year old 14 pound poodle tried to get to a terro ant bait package that I had taped to the trail to entice them. I don't think she ingested more than a drop or two, the plastic remains intact
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hannah
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hannah?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Hannah.

Fortunately, the ingredients in this particular ant trap (and in the majority of them) aren't toxic. If enough is ingested, then gi signs such as vomiting or diarrhea might be seen. But, the bigger concern is if the trap itself is ingested which might cause an obstruction. Since she didn't eat the package or trap itself and actually only swallowed a small amount of the bait, she should be fine.

No action on your part is necessary. I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb

Hi Cin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian