Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a 13 year old mini schnauzer ( approx 18 lbs) and

Customer Question
he has recently gone deaf......
my dog is a 13 year old mini schnauzer ( approx 18 lbs) and he has recently gone deaf.... He sleeps during the day and is up at night howling etc. I wanted to see if I can use melatonin or something else to make him chill out and go to sleep.. he is keeping us up all night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he does not have lethargy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your dog has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This is certainly worth a try, Melatonin has been used to help sleep patterns in dogs that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This can sometimes occur in older dogs ( Sundowner Syndrome ) Basically it helps re-sets the animal’s biological clock so they sleep at night. Melatonin also has sedative properties by the way and it is often available over the counter or by mail order on the internet. Aslo Melatonin has a very high margin of safety in the dog so even if it does not do much good the chances are it will not cause your dog any harm.

2. You can read more about this drug's use in dogs including dose rates and contraindications etc via this link : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thanks - He is 18 lbs so I am assuming as per the link he would fall into the 1-3 mg dosage? Also, there is a melatonin pill and a quick dissolve... which would be preferable?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

In your case I would go for 3 mg, that should be fine. And either the regular pill or the quick release pill will be OK, no real difference if you are going to try say a two week course to assess the effects.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Melatonin ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian