Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate maybe two or three little pieces of soft plastic,

Customer Question
My dog ate maybe...

My dog ate maybe two or three little pieces of green soft plastic, the inside of a clear bone toy that clicks when she bites on it. Will it pass in her stool?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Remy, almost 11 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remy?

She is 10 lb. A Bishon Shitzu mix

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Remy. You have asked a question where there are unknowns. When foreign material / non-digestible material is eaten, it can typically do one of these things. It can be small enough to pass benignly through the intestinal tract and be defecated out. It can be just the right size to get stuck somewhere in the intestinal tract. It could be too big to pass into the small intestinal tract and just sit in the stomach and be a space occupying object there. Basically when foreign material is eaten, typically what is done is monitoring for vomiting and / or loss of appetite for over 24 hours. If she continues to eat normally, not have any vomiting, be comfortable and is her normal social / active self - then it wouldn't seem to be an issue. If these things change, she should be seen by your vet.