Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog ate maybe two or three little pieces of soft plastic,

Customer Question

My dog ate maybe two or three little pieces of green soft plastic, the inside of a clear bone toy that clicks when she bites on it. Will it pass in her stool?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remy, almost 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remy?
Customer: She is 10 lb. A Bishon Shitzu mix
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Remy. You have asked a question where there are unknowns. When foreign material / non-digestible material is eaten, it can typically do one of these things. It can be small enough to pass benignly through the intestinal tract and be defecated out. It can be just the right size to get stuck somewhere in the intestinal tract. It could be too big to pass into the small intestinal tract and just sit in the stomach and be a space occupying object there. Basically when foreign material is eaten, typically what is done is monitoring for vomiting and / or loss of appetite for over 24 hours. If she continues to eat normally, not have any vomiting, be comfortable and is her normal social / active self - then it wouldn't seem to be an issue. If these things change, she should be seen by your vet.