PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have 2 mastiffs and they both have been scratching

Customer Question

I have 2 bull mastiffs and they both have been scratching themselves, licking and chewing their paws. I have looked in between their pads on their paws and they are red.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are either dog currently receiving any medications? has anything been tried and failed to work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No medications for the itching, licking and chewing. They did the same thing last year around summer at the same time that I gave them the flea and tick med Bravecto. Wondering if those are side effects of the med?

It's very unlikely. What you're describing is more common with seasonal allergies, especially the licking of the feet.

I can give you some steps to take at home, Donnie, but if this does not help them they'll need to see your vet. Antihistamines often work well at home but once pets have begun damaging their skin they my need more aggressive therapy such as steroids to bring down inflammation and antibiotics to prevent or treat an infection on the skin. At home, I would try Zyrtec for them both. You can find this OTC at most any human pharmacy: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

Hi Donnie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Samson.. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy