Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I believe he has allergies as his paws are pink and swollen

Customer Question

I believe he has allergies as his paws are pink and swollen and his eyes are red and water. Also his belly has a rash
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is around 10 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ricky?
Customer: Rocky sorry typo
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I will give you a list of things to help with allergies but if there is any discharge, oozing, or no improvement with the recommendations then please consider a veterinary exam to control symptoms more aggressively

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the most itchy areas then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat. A dose of 750 mg EPA & DHA daily and will take 2-4 weeks to have full effect
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains no by products
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas of irritation and chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!