Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Earlier my dog started having soft stools water alil

Customer Question

Earlier my dog started having soft stools water alil red/dark took him out for a walk to observe him he barely pissed but struggled to poop he also seemed to want to throw up this has happened before but dealing with expired food but not this time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Watery
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I think he did when he was sniffing some weird plants but i gave him fresh water he still pooping
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Thats about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Weight?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he on any medications?

5- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5yrs old, 10-15 lbs,none, no, he starting to be he was perfectly fine until he was sniffing some weird plants
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

No need to accept a phone call request. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, the red color you saw in the feces is likely blood. When we see bloody loose stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon); this does not happen with sniffing plants. Possible causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. Whatever is causing the inflammation can also make him vomit. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination with a veterinarian, x-rays and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no $ to get him any bland foods he stopped pooping but has the urge to vomit but nothing is coming out its strange to me he's never been like this ever the most i can do is cut him off water then give him water before i go to work
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hold the food and water as described above then gradually introduce him back into his diet.