Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chocolate lab has breast cancer. Since she is 12 years…

Customer Question
My chocolate lab has...

My chocolate lab has breast cancer. Since she is 12 years old we have chose not to do a mastectomy but she has a large softball shaped mass that has grown in just a week or so. She doesn't appear to be in pain, is eating and responding and breathing okay, the things our vet told us to watch for. But the tumor interferes with her movement and we wondered about bandaging it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Mocha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?

What I put in the first message

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of this area?

No, sorry it is a large mass hanging from her mammary glands area near her rear legs. I know it is cancer, I just want to know what I can do to keep her comfortable? The low hanging mass is awkward for her.

Seeing what you're seeing will help me not only to determine if this can be bandaged but also how to instruct you to do so. Can you provide pictures given more time? Perhaps video?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian