Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My 85 lb 11 year old dog for the last 3 years has had very

Customer Question

My 85 lb 11 year old dog for the last 3 years has had very red inflammation of the third eye in connective tissue below the eye. Some days it's not so bad but some days it's bright red. I taking him to the vet they just keep giving him the same eye drops but they don't seem to help much. My vet says he has allergies but this is a year round thing for him. Can I give him Visine allergy eye drops or Clear Eye allergy eye drops. I dropped from the vet must soothe his eyes because he'll come to me when I pick up the bottle but they don't seem to make any difference with the redness.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cooper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?
Customer: No he's pretty healthy for an 11 year old dog. He still runs lap around the field by my house. His eyes look really painful but the BET and I have discussed the thing thoroughly. Drops obviously soothe but don't really help because eyes. I feel sorry for him he's always rubbing them with his paws
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Cooper has a chronic history of reddened conjunctiva and third eyelids. You want to know if you can give an eye medication such as Vision or Clear Eye drops. Is that a correct summary?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I meant Visine allergy drops or Clear Eye allergy drops which I have already
Visible or Clear Eye are safe if used sparingly, although they are not used frequently in dogs so evidence is lacking. A proven safe option for allergies in dogs is using an antihistamine eye drop, which is also an over-the-counter medication. An example is Zaditor, which can be applied as 1-2 drops every 12 hours as needed.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Please leave a positive review. Your review is the only way Experts can continue to help other customers. You may leave a rating up to 5 stars. Thank you.