Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

She has hot spots and I also gave her a flea bath because I

Customer Question

She has hot spots and I also gave her a flea bath because I saw one on her. She is still going crazy acting like she still has fleas on her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ali and she is going to be 8 in November
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ali?
Customer: not that I know of she isn't eating as well either. Could that also be caused by fleas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry to hear your dog has an area of significant itching and discomfort! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. Unfortunately even one flea bite in a dog with a flea allergy can cause severe itching/ chewing and redness/ scabbing for up to a month with just one bite!

1.) No licking or scratching! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking or scratching introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the hot spots but please minimize the use of scissors near the skin risking possibly cutting the skin

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but may initially cause mild sedation

7.) If this is a hot spot then you can use Dom Boro which is available at your local pharmacy over the counter. It is a tablet or salt form that is mixed with water then a towel is placed in the mixture and applied to the area 10 minutes before wiping off and before shampoo. CLICK HERE for more information on hot spots in dogs

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!