Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

If my dog who is fourteen has ketosis what are the chances

Customer Question

If my dog who is fourteen has ketosis what are the chances of successful treatment and how long will it prolong his life. He has just shown the first symptoms of diabetes. . He is drinking more and wants to go out in the night about hourly and then it subsides. Our vet thinks he has one or both. We are retired and on affixed income. We of course love this pet like no other. We don't want him to go through any bad things just to keep us happy. RLE
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Elmo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elmo?
Customer: He functions normally right now . He is eating and wants to walk. He has separation anxiety and can't stand to have either my wife or me out of the house.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Elmo. So your vet has definitely diagnosed him as being diabetic and possibly ketotic? Is he receiving treatment as far as insulin at this time? He again is still eating ok?