Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We are in the middle of a hurricane and my 12 year old Shih…

Customer Question
We are in the...

We are in the middle of a hurricane and my 12 year old Shih Tzu is having a problem with her eye. She looks like she's in pain and is squinting. She also has gunk in he eye that I have wipe away. What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Shih Tzu's name?

Bamboo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bamboo?

She 12?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Can I use Genteel eye drops for humans?
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Bamboo and the hurricane outside. I can't imagine what it is like to be in one. As far as Bamboo's situation, could she have some mild ocular irritation from something that got into it? If this is the case, then rinsing the one time with a sterile saline eye solution can be done to help physically remove an irritant. This shouldn't be done excessively as it can dry the eye. Could there be something else going on? A more serious situation would be if there is an actual ulcer on the eye. This could be indicated by a cloudy spot on the eye, but typically it is not really visible to the naked eye.