Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He seemed fine this morning and all of a sudden about an…

Customer Question
He seemed fine this...

He seemed fine this morning and all of a sudden about an hour ago he started vomiting clear fo***** *****quid. now he's acting like he doesn't feel well, has drool coming from his mouth and has thrown up small amounts every few minutes for the past 15 minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He's a 6 year oldl boston terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Boston terrier eat anything unusual?

I don't think so but he was in the yard for a few minutes by himself while I was taking out trash. He doesn't usually eat weird things. He's very finicky with food

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Boston terrier's name?

Walter

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. The drooling is an indication of nausea as well. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Walter comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope that Walter is more comfortable this afternoon

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!