Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a golden retriever who had a small scab on the top of

Customer Question
I have a golden...
I have a golden retriever who had a small scab on the top of his head. In the last two days he has continued to scratch it with his paw making the sore bloody and much worse. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Golden Retriever's name?
Customer: Riley, he takes the flea medicine that comes in pill form, once a month
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: No, he's a healthy 8 year old retriever.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry to hear your dog has this wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is continued discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No scratching, you can put a sock on the back leg he is using to scratch with but scratching can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the opening to minimize trapping in of the moisture with the hair matting. Please use caution with scissors

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess and why likely this isn't healing well

6.) If there is scratching or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian