Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How sick can a dog get from eating raw steel cut oats. We…

Customer Question
How sick can a...

How sick can a dog get from eating raw steel cut oats. We are watching someone's dog and he got into the raw oats. We're vey worried about swelling in his stomach and we're due to leave.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

Bleeding? No. He just ate it and now we're scared.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Please just tell me what we should do knowing he ate the raw steel cut oats and if we should worry and if he shouldn't be left alone

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about your dog eating raw oats. The oats could absorb fluid in his stomach and swell up, but it really depends on how big a dog he is, and how much he ate, if this could be serious or not.

I am researching this. It does not seem to be a big problem in dogs such as eating uncooked rice; rice apparently absorbs a lot more liquid than oats. He could vomit or have diarrhea, but unless he ate really a lot of them and/or is a really small dog, it should not be a problem.

I hope you are able to see my answer! From what I am reading, diarrhea is probably the worst you might see.

Please let me know what questions you have and if this is helpful.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian