Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 11 year old Springer hasn't been eating much since

Customer Question

My 11 year old Springer hasn't been eating much since Tuesday. Now her breathing is labored. Gave her the usual dry dog food this morning with canned food which she ate small amount then devoured scrambled eggs. Had diahrea. She takes Hydroxoxine for allergies. Deramaxx for arthritis for six months or so. Had blood work done 3 weeks ago and all was good. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the springer will be able to digest that. What is the springer's name?
Customer: Oreo.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?
Customer: Gave scrambled eggs just to get food in her and it's something she would eat. Can't think of anything else pertinent. Her nose is pretty dry.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Oreo.

Labored breathing is a concern. Is she nose breathing, or mouth breathing?

If you lift her lip to check her gums, are they pink or pale?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Labored breathing can indicate fever (can you take her temp with a rectal thermometer? Normal is 101.5), fluid in the lungs, infection, heart disease, anemia (why I want to know if her gums are pink or not), pain.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you are able to see what I wrote; I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.