Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is just standing there drooling. Black lab. He's a dog, a

Customer Question
He is just standing there...
He is just standing there drooling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Black lab
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, he's a dog, a large black lab
JA: The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Drake, 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Drake?
Customer: He is on full time Prednisones... When I came outside at around 8. He wouldn't even get up, then when he got up he hasn't laid back down. He's just standing in one spot. When I call him he walk very slow sideways
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, or vomiting?

Can he eat or drink? Keep anything down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? Sore anywhere else?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

This morning,
no,
no,
black an pink,
yes on stomach,
grease pan on BBQ was out

Hello again,

Now drooling is a nausea sign (even without vomiting) in the dog. And while we can see this with gut infections, parasites/protozoa infections, etc; the fact Drake got into grease and has belly discomfort rings alarm bells of a gastritis but even more a pancreatitis.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle him. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food (and before the Pred) to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns but pancreatitis and gastritis are most likely in Drake's case. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle this. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, is very sore, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved to confirm our suspicions but also to start gut safde pain relief, injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian