Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We noticed our dog Zoey had been going outside and throwing

Customer Question
up pretty consistently and took...
We noticed our dog Zoey had been going outside and throwing up pretty consistently and took her to see her vet on Wed. He gave her amoxicillin, and some cerebral (for the vomiting), and some proviable as a digestive health supplement. Saw some improvement within 24 hrs on Thurs but by the evening time she stopped eating and drinking water. I was able to give her her pills fri morning but then after that she wouldn't take them any longer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Zoey eat anything unusual?
Customer: So yesterday I took her in again for blood work and X-rays this time. Everything came back normal except the dr. said she had built up gas in her GI tract. So he issued me metronidazole, had a hard time getting that down her throat but was able to and woke up this morning to the same. She still won't eat or drink anything, so it's like the meds aren't working at all and I don't know what to do
JA: How old is Zoey?
Customer: She is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?
Customer: She had shoulder surgery on her left shoulder bout a month and a half ago so to minimalist movement during the day she is crated. So there is nothing unusual or out of the ordinary she could have ate
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Cerebral should be replaced with cerenia- name of the pill for vomiting the dr. prescribed
Also, the dr. didn't see any obstructions on her X-rays either
Would you recommend taking her into the emergency vet?
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did they send home any Cerenia for her or just give an injection?

Anything else besides those 2 antibiotics and the supplement?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

They sent me home with more cerenia but also gave her an injection of it too before I left yesterday. So that plus the 2 antibiotics and supplement is what we currently have to give her.
Her gums the and sodium levels are a little off and the dr. said she had indicators of dehydration. Her abdomen was dough-like which he also said was an indicator from her not eating or drinking anything with her upset stomach.
Her X-rays did not show any full or even partial obstructions so I assume that meant there are no indicators that she ate anything bad that would be causing this.
She is crated for majority of the day right now during work days to keep her movement minimal as she continues to recover from her shoulder surgery she had about a month and a half ago

Hello again,

Now I am glad that they did send home Cerenia, but her lack of appetite suggests that it may not be fully countering the nausea that was causing her to vomit. Often when the medication only reduces the nausea, we see dogs go off food because the stomach is still unsettled. And that suggests that the treatments are not fully addressing the root cause; which could be because of a resistant bacterial infection, viral or protozoal one (as they don't respond to antibiotics), pancreatitis, or possible harmful ingestion (as even with blockage risks ruled out there are many plants, drugs, etc. that can cause signs yet not change xray findings).

With this all in mind, it'd be ideal to ring her vet about a stronger or alternative anti-nausea option (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide). Also we'd want Zoey on an appetite stimulant (ie Mirtazapine). If pancreatitis is suspect at all, then gut safe pain relief often is needed as well. (though that one is hopefully less likely if her abdomen is comfortable). Otherwise if she is at least not vomiting on the current treatment, then we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And that usually will get some energy back into them for us.

Overall, we do need to tread with care as her current treatment isn't fully addressing what we have here. So, a revisit would be ideal but we can syringe feed until her vet can add in those other steps. Of course, if she were painful, profusely vomiting still, or had paling gums; then we'd need her seen by the ER vet at this point. But otherwise you can first try syringe feeding if you wish to.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian