Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog Zoey has been acting odd for two days. She's panting

My dog Zoey has been acting odd for two days. She's panting a lot and is now shaking. She is 5 years old and 10 lbs. She's a Maltese cross toy poodle
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: She's behind on her shots

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How is her appetite?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any changes in urination and drinking?

Does it look like she is having any problems moving around?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's eating and drinking, she's still moving around but she's shaking like she cold. She's not cold though
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
shes panting

And no vomiting or diarrhea or change in urination/drinking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that i have noticed. Just a lot of panting and shaking like she's cold but she isn't cold at all. I picked her up this morning and she yipped like it hurt her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only time ive seen her shake like this is when shes super excited for treats or if she's cold

Thanks for the information. If there are no gastrointestinal or urinary problems, that panting and shaking is usually due to either pain or anxiety/stress. From what you are describing, it sounds more like pain, and usually that is due to back pain if you are not seeing any lameness or favoring a limb. Neck pain is possible as well. A bulging or herniated disk is usually the cause, but a muscular injury is possible. My best advice is to get her to a vet to get an orthopedic and neurologic exam to confirm that. They may recommend x-rays of the back or neck. At the very least, they can get her on a good pain medication regimen. Usually an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer with central pain control helps a lot. There are no human OTC pain medications that are consider completely safe. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it, especially without confirming it is musculoskeletal in origin. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just took ger outside and she does have diarrhea... she didn't yesterday though
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also she wouldn't drink her water inside but just drank from a dirty puddle outside...

That may just be due to stress, but it could be due to some gastrointestinal disturbance. That would make me more concerned about just giving aspirin. I would have her checked out today to see if there is evidence of musculoskeletal pain. Please let me know if you have other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Zoey is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to take her into the vet. Meds and rest and she's getting better

Thanks for the update. Was it indeed a back issue? Please let me know if you have other concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it was a gastrointestinal infection as far as we can tell the antibiotics are helping so that seems to be what it is

Good!! She seemed to be starting to have some gastrointestinal distress then. Maybe gas pains. I am glad she is improving.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Me too thanks for your help ♡

You are very welcome.