Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We are in hurricane shelter and our Italian greyhound cannot…

Customer Question
We are in hurricane...

We are in hurricane shelter and our Italian greyhound cannot calm down. The only people drug we have is xanax would that work in a very small quantity to calm him. We don't know what to do. We did not anticipate him being this way

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He cannot stop digging in crate shaking all over and we must leave him in crate in this hurricane shelter I can't stop crying for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Iggy 12 year old Italian greyhound 9 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Iggy?

Just I love him and afraid of loosing everything we have several more days in this sheltet

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you can try Xanax provided Iggy has no known health issues nor on any other medications that could interact. Dose-wise, a 9lb dog can have 0.09- 0.45mg given orally every 12 hours. After this is given, plan to cover the kennel with a dark colored towel/blanket to just block out some of the light and noise to help him settle. It may also help to move his dog crate to a inner room (without external walls) if available to dampen his hearing the noise or feeling the change in air pressures from the storm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**