Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Vomiting, had, formed on floor, usually doesn't go in house

Hi, vomiting, had bm, formed...
Hi, vomiting, had bm, formed on floor, usually doesn't go in house and she is with drawn and shaking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: That's my thought, got into a ham soup bone maybr too fatty.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: MJ is a pomerian mix 3 yo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: pomerian terrior, 25 lbs
9/10/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did she eat bones in the soup?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Gums pink, may have gotten bone, very lethargic no real pre existing, did get into artificial sugar a year ago and had similar sx's, but to our knowledge nothing other thn ham bone.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, as you have suspected the symptoms that you are describing could be a consequence of eating the soup or bone. She could have pancreatitis or she could have a bone obstructed in her gastrointestinal tract. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Strongly recommend having her checked by a vet for the above test as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can continue to have water. Leave her without food for 16-20 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for 1 week then wean her into her regular diet. 4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter
Thanks Dr. Peter

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian