Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I think he has kennel cough... honking noise with coughing.

I think he has kennel cough... honking noise with coughing. We are in SC and in evacuation zone.. I have Ciprofloxcin 500 mg from another illness he had and I have Temaril and Cephalexin... I have been giving him twice a day the temaril..doesn't seem to be working
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Clarke, 2 1/2, 50 lbs, Germain Shorthaired pointer... I can't get to a vet, we are hunkered down in our house till Irma blows through florida and we go through the storm surge
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is acting fine for the most part... he was in the ocean about five days ago, swimming! I know he drank some of the water
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Clarke

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Clarke.

I'm so sorry that you and millions of others are being affected by Irma:(

If Clarke were my patient, I'd likely dispense Doxycycline if I suspected he had kennel cough; however, since you have Cephalexin, this is what I'd give him. The dose for a dog this size would be 500 mg twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

As you probably know, kennel cough can be secondary to either a viral or bacterial infection so if this is a virus, it will have to run its course ...which is about 10-14 days.

I'd also feed him softened or moist food which may help to prevent further irritation to his throat. (Dry kibble can be soaked in water for 15-20 minutes until its the consistency of oatmeal.)

I'd probably discontinue the Temaril-P since the steroid component wouldn't be indicated for kennel cough.

I hope this helps and that you both stay safe, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! Praying for Florida!

You're welcome.

I can't imagine what life will be like after the hurricane passes but stay safe. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb