Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog ate deer carcass, now tremors and sluggish, Maya,

Customer Question

dog ate deer carcass, now tremors and sluggish
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maya, beagle, 9 mos
JA: How old is Maya?
Customer: 9 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maya?
Customer: Normally highly active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Maya, please?

You appear to be describing the bacterial endotoxemia caused by the ingestion of putrefying bacteria in such a carcass. Bacterial toxins migrate across the intestinal wall and into the blood stream. This is best addressed by hospitalization on IV fluids and antibiotics.