Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog ate deer carcass, now tremors and sluggish, Maya,

Customer Question
Dog ate deer carcass...

Dog ate deer carcass, now tremors and sluggish

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maya, beagle, 9 mos

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Maya?

9 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maya?

Normally highly active

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Maya, please?

You appear to be describing the bacterial endotoxemia caused by the ingestion of putrefying bacteria in such a carcass. Bacterial toxins migrate across the intestinal wall and into the blood stream. This is best addressed by hospitalization on IV fluids and antibiotics.