Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a female Chihuahua/ mix that is giving birth right…

Customer Question
I have a young...

I have a young female Chihuahua/ ***** ***** mix that is giving birth right now and we have no where to take her cause of the hurricane

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Chihuahua?

What do we do

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Chihuahua seem to hurt?

She in the middle of delivering the first baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

She is having difficulties and she is screaming out. we have 1 that was just born. what do we do with the babies also

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Chloe and will be 2 in late february

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chloe?

1 yr and 7months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

She is small

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that sweet little Chloe is having some trouble. It is a good sign that she has had one puppy. This means that they are not too large to be delivered. Keep an eye on her and of you see a paw or paws, and she is crying, it is good to give her a hand by helping gently to pull the puppy out. Take the new puppy and warm it in a towel, turn it upside down to remove some of the fluid from the lungs and then place the puppy in front of Chloe so she can clean it up and help remove the first stool. All you can do in this situation is help her as best you can. Sometimes, using a syringe or dropper, you can put some mineral oil or vegetable oil around the puppy to give it more lubrication so the puppy can slip out easier. Like I said, chances are good that she will have the puppies with little help if she delivered one that is healthy. If you get into trouble, call the local ER clinic. I am also in the middle of Irma and we have an ER clinic in Fort Pierce that can give you advice on the phone if you get worried. You probably have one in your area.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian