Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had bloody diarrhea and now it's just blood, Her name…

Customer Question
My dog had bloody...

My dog had bloody diarrhea and now it's just blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is about 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?

She still has an appetite and most of her energy but the amount of blood is scary

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Is she up to date on vaccines?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Her symptoms started in the last 24 hours as far as I know she is up to date and hasn't eaten any she wasn't supposed to
She only seems agitated when. She needs to use the bathroom
Her gums are a pinkish white and she is drooling alot

Hello again,

Now we need to tread with care as we can see bloody stool with a number of serious conditions. Though I'd note that it is positive to hear that she is vaccinated (as Parvo is less likely then) and not likely to have eaten something harmful. With those aside, our main worries here would be a severe colitis, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, parasite infections (coccidia, Giardia, etc), or bacterial infections (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc).

In regards ***** ***** here, at the moment, we just need to keep her calm and can start some supportive care. To start, if her gums are paler then usual for her then that can be a sign of internal bleeding and a sign to have her seen right away. Otherwise, we do still need to consider an urgent but there are some supportive steps we can try if there is any delay. First, since drooling can be a nausea sign secondary to GI inflammation, you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once this has had a chance to take effect, you can then try her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients into her. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further reduce the level of nausea she may be experiencing and also aid her gut absorbing this to reduce her diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And those are quite useful since we cannot use anti-diarrheals with those hemorrhagic concerns (as those viral and bacterial agents cannot be allowed to linger in the gut as they can damage it further).

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to monitor her hydration. To do so, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).

Overall, I do share your concern about her. As long as those gums are a usual pink for Ruby and that belly is comfortable; we can use the above until her vet is open. Else if those are a concern, we'd want her seen sooner. Though once she is seen, we'd want her vet to test a stool sample. Depending on their findings, we'd want them to start fluids, antibiotics +/- gastroprotectants if needed to settle this and get her feeling better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Are her symptoms of something she are while in the backyard??

Hi again,

It is quite possible but it of course depends what was out there.

Dr. B.

She likes to eat plants and Chase bugs but no signs of digging . There's is also the occasional digging through the trash if someone threw food away.

Hi again,

Most bugs would not cause this but some plants or trash (bones) could. So, if those are a risk, we are best having her seen at this point.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.