Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 6 year old normally very active and happy american

Customer Question

My 6 year old normally very active and happy american bulldog has become listless and doesnt want to walk or bend down. I noticed it only this afternoon. When laying down on his side he yelped in pain but i cant find where the pain is originating from. He seems stiff in the shoulders and back hindquarters rather than sore legs. A couple of weeks ago he had a urine infection from eating chicken but that seemed to go away quickly. What could cause this to come on all of a sudden? He will eat but only when hand fed as he doesnt want to bend down to his bowl.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the American Bulldog?
Customer: Not really its just so sudden and no sign of trauma. He did have a fight with a cat yesterday. Not sure if its related or not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

Possibilities:

1) the fight with the cat could have something to do with it. Check the body for any wounds, such as bite wounds.

2)You may be seeing intravertabral disc disease which is when the soft tissue that cushions the discs suddenly turns hard and presses on the nerve causing pain. This can come on quickly or over time.

Dogs that have this usually do not want to bend the neck area if the problem disc is in that area. you may also see limping in one or more legs from this.

When it happens in discs near the hind end , you may see rear leg limping, s slight arch to the back, slow movement, reluctance to jump on furniture or climb steps.

3) A tick borne disease could also cause such pain in the joints. Something like Lyme disease.

I might try giving him a baby aspirin ans seeing if that helps. this can be given every 12 hours but should not be given more than a couple of days. See your Vet for a safer anti inflamatory drug. Do not use tylenol or ibuprofen products.

aspirin http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

information on disc disease

neck areahttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

lower spine

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no major visible wounds from the cat but he was bleeding slightly from claw marks around his jaw yesterday. Can wounds from household cats cause adverse effects in dogs as I know feral cats can carry diseases but thought I read something regarding wounds from household cats also causing health issues in dogs in some cases. There has been no previous signs at all of my dog being sore or limping before this afternoon. Could the disc disease just suddenly appear like that? Ive also read up on meningitis and while he does exhibit some symptoms hes not vomiting or having serious symptoms like seizures. I guess Id like to look at all avenues before settliing with an answer
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Usually a house cat won't leave that much damage, but clean the wounds and put neosporin on them if needed.

Yes, IVDD can come on suddenly.

I would check his vital signs to make sure you do not have an emergency since it is sudden onset .

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx