Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Great Dane (150#) is having a reaction to prednisone. Our

Customer Question

My Great Dane (150#) is having a reaction to prednisone. Our vet prescribed 20mg, one pill morning & evening. He began yesterday AM, and last night. Now he can't settle down, is panting and continues to urinate. He's been up all night. Is then something that I can do to help him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your great dane?
Customer: My Great Dane (150#) is having a reaction to prednisone. He had two 20 mg pills so far, one yesterday morning and one last night. Now he can't settle down, is panting and continues to urinate but refuses to drink any water (so far). Is there anything that I can do to help him?
JA: Where does your great dane seem to hurt?
Customer: Not hurt, just uncomfortable and can't settle down. Panting and can't seem to control his kidneys. He's obviously having some kind of a reaction to the medicine.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the great dane's name and age?
Customer: Aczar, 9.5 years. Just checked his temperature and it's normal.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aczar?
Customer: He's been on Rimadyl (75mg, 2x one am & one pm.) It was stopped on Wednesday, two days to clear his system and then the prednisone began. He's also been on gabapentin & Benadryl.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear Aczar is having this problem.

Why is Aczar on the prednisone? What disease is your vet trying to treat right now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please cancel request. Couldn't wait, rushed Aczar to an Emergency ER for Animals. After testing they discovered that he had a severe urinary track infection so he's now on Clavamox. Please refund your charges and email the credit. Thanks anyway, will try again next time.