Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My male has become very quiet and i found bloody looking pus…

Customer Question
My male ***** ***** has...
My male ***** ***** has become very quiet and i found bloody looking pus coming from his sheath as i squeezed a larger amount burst out. I am worried as what it could be.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he had these signs?

Any struggles to pass urine?

Any wounds or sores down the penis (you may need to slide the prepuce back to check)?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

There seems to be no pain or sores and has no difficulty urinating but he did have diarrhea last night and this morning. The bloody pus seems to have sudsided but he still is acting very much the same, unhappy and tired.
Plus this has been his second day like this.

Hello again,

Now I am concerned about the volume of blood pus you found arising from the sheath. That volume usually is linked to an abscess and that would still be a top concern even without visible wounds given how there was a large volume that has now tapered off. And I do have to warn you that abscesses often rupture, heal, refill, and repeat. So, especially if he is lethargic/depressed (as some bacteria can invade the blood stream), we'd want to have him seen by the local vet with a view to starting antibiotics. Any delay and you can flush this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream into the sheath region.

For his diarrhea, we can start some supportive care as well for Gus. To do so, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI as we address that bacterial infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Took him to his vet and is on a course of antibiotics he has/had an infection in a recently extracted tooth which was causing his other symptoms. He is on his way to getting better. Thanks alot for your help.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that he is on antibiotics and on the mend. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**