Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

15 year old husky mix. Acting drunk. No pill ingested. Maku,

Customer Question

15 year old husky mix. Acting drunk. No pill ingested.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maku
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maku?
Customer: Weak hip issues.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is he now?

Any head tilting or circling?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, drugs, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same.
Yes.
Pink.
No.
60
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Maku.

If his signs have persisted for days and we can rule out toxins, then we do have a few other worries. The most common case for his drunk gait with the head tilting and possible circling are inner ear infections, vestibular disease (common in older dogs), and can be a feature of brain lesions (bleeds, swellings, infections, etc). Furthermore, we can see this in dogs that have underlying organ issues (ie liver, kidney, heart).

In this situation, if Maku were my patient, I'd want to have him seen now. Ideally, we'd want a full neurological examination to help localize which system is involved here. If toxins are suspect, then fluids can be used to flush them out. If organ issues are a concern, blood testing can confirm them. And for infections and inflammation, his vet can start antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to reduce his signs. Of course, for severe cases we do sometimes need them to see a neurologist for an MRI and spinal tap; but we'd hope that isn't necessary for him. But as these do raise some serious concerns and given that he has been doing this for a few hours, we'd really want to have him seen at this point.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.