Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6lb adult dog has red dark mucous clotty diarrhea. He

Customer Question
struggled to go poop for...
My 6lb adult dog has red dark mucous clotty diarrhea. He struggled to go poop for a good 45 sec to a min to go just now which is rare for him. We took him to the vet for blood dark red runny diarrhea and vomiting several times 3 days ago. The vet noticed a slight fever, did a blood panel, x ray and gave him anti-nausea, antibiotics and said his liver enzymes level was elevated. I have him eating boiled chicken and rice since we left the vet. I put a small amount of his regular dog food with it but he didn't eat the dog food, only the chicken and rice. Today is the first day he has had a bowel movement since before I took him to the vet. He isn't acting lethargic although seems a little uncomfortable at times (he's a tough little guy so he won't show). He also has had really smelly has the past few days. Is this something bad? He's never had an issue like this.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
The X-ray showed no blockage. He was given ampicillin, cerenia, and famotidine injections 3 days ago. We do not think he ate or got into something he shouldn't have. We are responsible and keep things away and he also isn't that curious to eat things.
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing canine hemorrhagic gastroenteritis perhaps better called acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome (AHDS) to describe dogs with the acute onset of hemorrhagic diarrhea with or without vomiting. This syndrome has numerous potential causes, although an underlying cause is often not identified. In one study, affected dogs were significantly younger (median age of 4.2 years) and weighed less (median weight 26 lbs) than the general hopsital population. Predisposed breeds were Yorkshire terrier, miniature Doberman pinscher, miniature Schnauzer, miniature poodle, and Maltese dogs. Both infectious (giardia, parvovirus, coronavirus, circovirus, Clostridium perfringes, Clostridium difficile, Campylobacter, Salmonella) and non-infectious (pancreatitis, Addison's disease, e.g.) causes are considered.

To answer you directly, yes, it can be "bad". I'll hospitalize these patients on IV fluids and antibiotics because they can dehydrate and become electrolyte imbalanced quickly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

My concern is if it's bad to wait until Tuesday to see the vet again.. I am unfortunately in the path of a hurricane and the only emergency vet open has a 2+ hour wait which he may or may not be seen for this type of illness. I am not sure how they categorize emergency illnesses during these types of catastrophic events... He is eating and I am putting extra water in the food with the chicken and rice. I am watching for signs of dehydration such as skin elasticity on his back, checking his gums and nose.

I understand your constraints at this time. His continuing to eat is a very positive prognostic sign and should preclude the need to be hospitalized. Keep up the good work adding extra water to the food and consider supplementing with a infant fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics). His daily fluid requirement is ~1 ounce per pound of body weight which is nigh impossible to give orally but every little bit helps. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Miranda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hugo. How is everything going?
Thank you for your response. It has been several days since a bowel movement.. Friday night was the small one with a little blood. It is now Tuesday evening. He has been eating chicken and rice twice a day. I am adding about an ounce and a half of water making it soupy. He finishes it all up but leaves a little of the rice. I had pediatric electrolyte handy if I felt he needed it. I started to give it to him just now although I do not think he is dehydrated. His skin is not sticking up, his nose is still wet, his gums are not sticky. Do you recommend I take him to the emergency vet tonight? The regular vet was closed today and not sure if they will reopen tomorrow (due to storm damage, assuming).. ER vet is open. Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis sounds frightening and it's been almost 7 days since the initial incident. My concern is not having a regular bowel movement. He normally goes twice a day with out a problem. I saw online that dogs can have less bowel movements with the bland diet of only chicken and rice, but it's been several days. He is urinating normal and seems playful. I took him out several times and I think he may have tried to go, however he quickly changed his mind and decided to pee instead. He seems a little tired but I have to assume that some of his tiredness today is from a two hour drive and not being home in his normal routine the past 3 days. What tests are usually next to determine if it's hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or caused by something infectious or non- infectious?

I believe that his diarrhea had emptied him out and so there isn't enough ingesta to form enough feces to stimulate a normal bowel movement at this time. As long as he continues to eat and isn't dehydrated I don't see the need for an ER visit. Testing involves blood, urine, and fecal tests which can include ova and parasite flotation, serology and enterotoxin testing for Clostridial infections. Because it's been so long since the onset of symptoms, his vet might treat palliatively at this time rather than perform extensive testing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian