Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our has just delivered five pups - we were told to expect…

Customer Question
Our bitch has just...

Our bitch has just delivered five pups - we were told to expect four or five, so we think that she is done. How can we tell if the puppies are nursing correctly?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

They seem to nuzzle and licking, but we are not certain whether they are suckling.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

They do not seem to be hurting - just not sure they are sucking properly

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Mother is Piper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mother?

No - this is our first ever litter, so we are a bot nervous.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 9 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If a mother is cleaning her pups, letting them nurse as well as eliminating herself, she is likely done delivering the pups especially since she delivered the amount of pups you were told to expect.

As to nursing, a pup often has the nipple in their mouth and when suckling will have their paws on either side of the nipple. Once they are full, they will often stay latched on the nipple and apprea to be just licking a little. It often takes them a little time nuzzling to find a nipple and latch on. The best way you can determine if they are getting enough milk is to weigh them now and every day or two to be sure they are gaining weight. If they do gain weight then they are getting enough milk.

Here are some things you should look for after a dog delivers. If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion.

If your dog has a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately. It is likely she has metritis which is a uterine infection.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/metritis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If your dog is experiences muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is a site with more information on this.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/eclampsia-in-dogs

Look for breast infections on a regular basis. If a breast becomes inflamed, red and hard to the touch, your dog will need to be seen by your vet. To help prevent this you will need to keep the pup's nails trimmed every week because they are very sharp at this age.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all concerning your new pups, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.