Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old pit mix woke me up this morning vomiting....

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old pit bull mix woke me up this morning vomiting.... he has not been able to keep anything down all day. Urinating and eliminating, no temperature, doesn't act sick.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the pit eat anything unusual?

No, he has not been out of the house or outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the pit's name?

Red. I tried giving him hamburger and rice...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pit?

Vomit seems to be mostly yellow mucous.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

He is keeping water down, no tenderness
Discomfort or pain... I've been giving him pep to bismol .... he went for a walk, wags his tail ... I had the flu last week and didn't eat anything from Friday till Monday, he's kind of acting like that.
He has not been out, I don't put chemicals on my yard.

Hello again,

Now I am glad harmful ingestions nor those urgent signs I asked about are a worry for Red. Though given his signs our main suspects here would be a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, we'd be best to stop any more Pepto since its not really great for nausea/vomiting and instead is more for diarrhea (which it could cause constipation if he doesn't have that). Instead, use an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider trying your light diet again or try the rice with something more bland like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk for Red, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure he doesn’t have sunken eyes and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian