Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 17 and having trouble waling. her back legs are

Customer Question
my dog is 17 and...
my dog is 17 and having trouble waling. her back legs are gingin out on her. I think it's time to but her down and was doing some research
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Remy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remy?
Customer: she still eats and drinks. no change in food consumption
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Rear leg weakness can occur for several reasons. It might be from severe arthritis, or organ failure. At Remy's age, organ failure is a consideration though usually we also see some loss of appetite and other symptoms. I would consider having blood work done to determine if she does have any problems with organ function. If she doesn't, then you might want to consider a doggie wheelchair to keep Remy mobile.

We usually advise clients to consider if their dog's quality of life is poor. If a dog has nothing they enjoy or is in pain all the time and medications do not work, then it is likely time to let Remy go. If you feel Remy still has some quality of life then consider a mobility device for her.

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=dog+wheelchair&query2=dog+stroller

At her advanced age, perhaps a sling to just help her when she wants to move around might be a better choice. If you do decide to euthanize many vets now offer the option of a house call so she can pass at home. If you need help finding a mobile vet the following site can help. Just check house calls on the list and put your zip code and distance in. It will bring up a list of vets willing to come to your home if you choose that option.

http://www.vetlocator.com/advancedsearch.php

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner