Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy has diarrhea and she won't eat or drink and she is…

Customer Question
My puppy has diarrhea...

My puppy has diarrhea and she won't eat or drink and she is not active

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Princess

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is Princess?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Any blood in the stool?

4- Did she get into anything?

She's 2. No vomiting no blood in her stool. I don't think she got into anything.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any other symptoms?

She weighs about 12lbs. No other symptoms.
She hasn't ate or drank anything today.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone request. Thank you.

Oh I gave her a half a teaspoon of pepto

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your vet, x-rays and fecal analysis as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- Feed her a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian. If she is not willing to eat the rice with meat and is very lethargic I would have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Could this be a life or death situation?

It depends on the underlying cause. For example, if the diarrhea is being caused by a foreign body the perforates the intestinal tract then yes it could be a life threatening condition.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian