Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has diabeties and cataracts which were both under control…

He has diabeties and...

He has diabeties and cataracts which were both under control but in last 2-3 days he seems almost blind...very sudden increase he is not in pain so not sure if we need a pressure test today or if i can wait till next week.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?

He is about 11 and half

9/10/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Cookie is currently being treated for diabetes and cataracts, but he is suddenly appearing blind. Is that a correct summary of the problem?

Almost blind...he didnt have great vision but it has deteriated noticebly in days
Basically I have booked into the vet today to get a pressure test, as I am worried about glaucoma however i think he is fine as his eyes looks like they always do??? just wondering if this is an urgent matter as I already have an appointment to see eye doctor next friday at my usual vet

I am sorry to hear about the problem Cookie is experiencing. Regarding glaucoma, there are a few ways we can get an indication if this is occurring without checking the intraocular pressures. One way is to look at the eyes. Glaucoma will often show with redness on the sclera (i.e. white part) and the pupils are sometimes dilated. Another way is to gently press in on the eye over the eye lid - he should blink as you move your hand towards the face and you can gently press in on top of the eye with your thumb. It is not a hard pressure, but if there is glaucoma then this will not feel good and Cookie should react with pain. If there is no reaction or just a gentle movement because of the pressure then that is a good sign.

If the eyes look normal then it is unlikely to be a problem with glaucoma. I suspect the cataracts have just advanced to the point where vision is compromised as this is a common problem with diabetes management.

Please let me know if you have any other question. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
just doing that test
OK thankyou he is red on the whites and pupils are dilated and he seems to not be wanting to open his eyes much . I did the press check it doesnt appear painful for him
do you think I should take him to the vet today can they do anything to relieve discomfort

The redness on the whites could mean some irritation of the conjunctiva and not necessarily pressure from inside the eye. However, the pupils should not be dilated normally. Since he does not want to be opening his eyes then I am concerned about pain. With that information I think it would be best to get him in as soon as possible to have the pressures checked.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian