Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog had a small hole on her side that our other dog kept

Customer Question

My dog had a small hole on her side that our other dog kept licking and when I touched the side blood and puss came out. We cut the hair around and placed neosporin on it last night. Twenty four hours later it appears as if there is cyst filled with fluid again. It does not hurt her. What do we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No blood now
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco 3 years old Wheaton Terrier mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: No still eating a playing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I ams sorry you are worried about Coco. I just came online and saw your question; I am so sorry you did not get help from a veterinarian on this website before now.

How is she doing today?

This sounds like an abscess, a pocket of pus under the skin. The usually treatment for an abscess is to lance it to let the pus out, and start antibiotics.

You can try warm moist compresses to draw out the infection, and continue the Neosporin, but if the infection is deep, she will need prescription antibiotics.

Please let me know if this helps and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my answer! How is Coco doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?