Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog was at the dog park and got attacked by another dog.

Customer Question

Hi - My dog was at the dog park and got attacked by another dog. While i was walking away i noticed he had a small cut above his right eye and there was some blood coming out of his corner center of his right eye (3 drops) and corner outside (1 drop), below the cut. He didnt seem to be in discomfort, no whining, pawing at his eye, change in behavior. There was no blood after 5 minutes. Since that time his lower eye lid got puffy. Again no signs of discomfort but wondering what we should do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound on his foot
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dex - 2.5 years old - yellow lab
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dexter, or Dex for short
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Please accept the phone call request and I will be glad to call you back at once.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A written reply within 10 minutes or so will suffice thank you

Hello again,

Sorry to hear this happened to Dexter, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If you are sure that the actually eye is not affected or damaged and the cut was just in the skin round the eye then you may be able to resolve things by applying the likes of Neosporin into the open cut twice a day for five days or so. Some swelling may occur round the eye due to trauma but this should gradually resolve.

2. But if the eye itself of the mucous membranes surrounding the eye were affected then prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed, this would normally mean a visit to your vet, and this could be your best option in any case, just to be on the safe side. But in the meantime you would do no harm by gently flushing out the eye with lukewarm water three of four times a day.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Dexter's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Dex is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his eye injury ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi - We have been flushing his eye out and he doesnt seem to be in any discomfort. There is still swelling so we are going to go to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't start to subside.ThanksRyan

That sounds encouraging ...

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott