Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got to the bottle ciprofloxacin eye drops. not sure…

Customer Question
Hi. my dog got...

Hi. my dog got to the bottle ciprofloxacin eye drops. not sure how much she actually got to and how much is just on the ground. is this dangerous?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sorry into her mouth**

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She's a puppy around 3 months

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, this is unlikely to cause any adverse effects of any kind, you see the concentration of antibiotics in eye drops is very much less than the oral meds which are sometimes prescribed for dogs. In any case these drugs are not toxic to dogs so the chance are she will be just fine.

2. Given the above there are no special measures you need take. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your pup's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the eye drop incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott