Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My shih-tzu has a VERY red (infected-looking) lump between

Customer Question

My shih-tzu has a VERY red (infected-looking) lump between his toes and he's non-stop licking it. We have been traveling and in woods/forest/grasses. I'm guessing it's some foreign object inside? Should I take him to the vet immediately or wait and see if it gets better and take him on Monday?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your Shih-Tzu can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Shih-Tzu's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Olie?
Customer: He's the sweetest little guy in the world :-) He's licking on and off. Would a photo of the infection be helpful?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you...give me a sec to read the history.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

so, do you have any benedryl or any antibiotics?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

ok, so if you do not have access to antibiotics then I would not allow this to wait until Monday because if there is a foreign body there the sooner it is removed the better.....some foreign bodies like foxtails can kill a dog.....so I would recommend seeing a vet by tomorrow at the very latest.....you should be bale to find a local ER to get a vet to look at this and to determine if it needs to be lanced or just treated. I hope this helps. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I'm at the vet now. They're taking care of it
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

ok, good.....do you still want or need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm all set. Doctor is treating him now.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

ok, good..