Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 55 pound poodle ate my daily multi viamins, Vitamin D,

My 55 pound poodle ate my daily multi viamins, Vitamin D, B12, C, CoQ10, Grape seed, Garlic extrack, Silymarin and selenium. I had daily packages prepared for a trip and he got ahold of one package and ate most of it. He was only alone for about an hour. He seems fine. Should we be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, he is in good health! 4.5 years old.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The only ingredient of concern is the vitamin D which can become toxic (renal failure) when ingested in amounts above 1,800 IU per pound of body weight. How many vitamins were ingested and how many IU of vitamin D were in each one, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 1,000 IU pills, so a total of 2,000 IU.

Don't give it a second thought. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but he wasn't intoxicated and will remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!!! Have a good evening.

You're equite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.