Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99787490

My puppy fell from top floor through rails - did not cry - I

Customer Question

my puppy fell from top floor through rails - did not cry - I picked him up - he is lethargic - not crying -
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: he is 10 weeks old - a yorkie - 3.7 lbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Nicole replied 1 month ago.

I am so sorry to hear about Toby. At that age a fall that high could be very serious, especially such a small breed. There are some cases that I feel can be worked out over the internet and then there are more traumatic cases that I feel need to be examined and evaluated.

In this situation, I would definitely encourage you to have the puppy examined by a veterinarian to ensure that there is not evidence of internal bleeding, shock, head trauma, broken bones,etc.

One important thing that you can do at home is to monitor breathing and evaluate gum color. Toby should have nice pink gums, if they are anything other than pink, there is reason for concern. You also need to really minimize handling. Keep him very quiet. You also want to monitor for responsiveness. He should be responsive to you and not too lethargic and withdrawn. Another reason for concern.

Do you have a veterinarian close to you that is open?

What are his symptoms currently?

Please let me now if you have further questions. I hope that you are able to have him checked out.

I am so sorry that this happened.

Keep me posted, please.

If you feel that I have answered all of your questions, a 5 star rating is appreciated as it is how we as expert are recognized and compensated.

Please let me know how things are going, though, I am very concerned about Toby.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took him to the vet 24 hour emergency hospital - before I received your response
I hope everything went ok.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are keeping him overnight for observation - his gums are pink, pupils are good, vitals are good - but he is lethargic - I just got off the phone with them, they have an IV in for fluids, he is asleep, he tried to take the IV out so they put a cone on him. He perks up when the bigger dogs bark.... I cant sleep - I cant believe I let this happen to him. He is so precious and tiny - I hope there are no neurological challenges.

Sorry for the delay, but thanks so much for the update. It sounds like he is stable and doing well. Its good that he is responding to sounds and active enough that he wants to chew his catheter out! That means he is pretty alert and responsive.

This could have been much worse. It was an accident and you should not beat yourself up. Everything is a learning experience. Little dogs move so fast and these accidents are unfortunately very common. You did the right thing by taking him in, absolutely.

Rest well tonight and try not to worry. He is in good hands. Its the best place for him to be.

I know you said that you got my response after you got back from the emergency hospital, but if you still feel like completing the rating, it is greatly appreciated.

Have a good night and best to you and your little Toby.

Dr. N

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole