Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have been feeding our Yorkie/Maltese mix Merrick classic

puppy recipe since we got...
We have been feeding our Yorkie/Maltese mix Merrick classic puppy recipe since we got her. She is a tiny dog and hovers just under 4lbs. She is about to turn 2 and we are wondering if it makes sense to change to adult food? As mentioned she is a tiny dog and if anything we'd be happy if she was a couple ounces heavier ;). So if she is not overweight is it ok to stick with this food. This is not grain free but we were told it's a good brand. We want the best for her so are open to suggestions.Thx
9/9/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. At 2 years of age, I would definitely start to transition her to an adult food. With smaller breed dogs, you can usually start doing that around 8-10 months of age anyway because it is unlikely they still have growing to do at that point. With larger breed dogs, that is a different story. If she is not overweight, you can stick with the puppy food if you like, but I would try to get her to the adult food at some point just because it matches her nutritional requirements better for an adult dog. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you. There is so much conflicting info out there. The main concern we have is that she is not a big eater, has maintained her weight well. Wouldn't an adult blend require to eat more to maintain her weight? Is just the weight maintenance the reason for switching or are their vitamins, ect she is not getting in her puppy food? Is there anything in her puppy food that is not good for an older dog (assuming they aren't overweight)?

Weight gain is the biggest concern with puppy food given to adult dogs. The puppy food usually has more protein in it and differences in calcium and phosphorus values. There is some difference in the vitamin and mineral compositions. That is a bigger concern with large and giant breed puppies. Ideally, an adult dog should be on adult food, but with a small breed dog, it probably doesn't make as much difference. Hope this helps.

Is the difference in phosphorous or calcium values more in puppy food? If so is too much of these bad for older dogs (assuming weight is not and issue). Just trying to understand the why, not looking for justification to keep her on puppy food. Just don't want her to loose weight being the finicky eater she is. Thanks so much !!

The calcium, phosphorus and sodium values are usually a little higher in puppy food vs adult food. In a large and giant breed dog, that makes a big difference. In a small breed dog, it is not as much of a problem. If she has been doing well on it, she most likely will continue to do so, but as she ages, and her metabolism gets slower, it can cause more weight gain. You can always have your vet check her blood work and make sure the calcium, phosphorus and sodium values are all normal. Chances are that will be. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
It's does. Thx

You are welcome.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian