Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is biting herself constantly fur is gone bare spots,

Customer Question
Dog is biting herself...

Dog is biting herself constantly fur is gone bare spots

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

About 12 years lucky

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lucky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?

Changed food a week ago

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is Lucky on any flea preventative? Has this ever happened before?

since spring has gotten worse lately I just got lucky a ne flea collar 5 days ago and gave her a flea bath last winter but her fur grew back thought it was allright till march

Okay thanks for the additional information. What type of flea collar did you get? It sounds like that she may have allergies. If that is the case then the most common cause for allergies are things in the environment, the diet, or a combination of both. She may need to be placed on a medication to help with the itching. A common medication that I prescribe for that issue is a medication called Apoquel. . Also if you are seeing fleas then you may need a stronger flea product to treat the fleas.