Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He stepped on something in the brush which made him yelp &

Customer Question
He stepped on something...

He stepped on something in the brush which made him yelp & limp, plus he got overheated in 90+ heat. And now he can't seem to walk & is lethargic. Won't eat or drink now. Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

We're at a hotel 3 hours from home for a wedding that starts in 2 hours!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Dog name is***** approx 11 and is a chi-min pin mix.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
It's his left front paw. The arm & paw have been twitching. He finally just drank some water when I put him in front of the bowl again.
Now he's started licking the pads & top of his paw.
Hello?? I've been waiting almost 30 minutes instead of the 8 minute wait I was told...
Please advise...i have to leave for a wedding in less than an hour!
9/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

Tha k you for reaching out. I'm VERY disappointes in this service, as we were fearing the worst for our dog. Thankfully, he seems to have completely recovered thank goodness. I had rubbed cold water on his body, fave & belly to tey to cool him down quickly. Once we got him to drink some water, he was able to walk himself over to a bed and curl up and rest & lick his paw. His eyes - which had been glazed over - started to clear a bit and he was able to lift his head again. We let him rest while we got ready for a wedding. We fed him & our other 2 dogs before we left and were thrilled to see him get up and be excited about dinner again, which he ate just fine. By then he also seemed to finally stop limping. We felt he was stable enough for us to leave him for a few hours. By the time we returned from the wedding, he seemed completely recovered.
We feel that it must have been a combo of heat stroke & shock from whatever caused his sharp paw pain (which we never discovered what he stepped on - there was no blood anywhere nor did we find anything stuck to him).

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. I will be happy to reach out to customer service for you.