Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 6 mos old pit mix and has developed practically

Customer Question
She is 6 mos...

She is 6 mos old pit mix and has developed practically overnight a tennis ball size mass behind her shoulder blade

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Bowie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bowie?

She did go to the vet for it and the vet just seemed unexperienced and agave her an anti inflammatory and said that if it doesn't go away in a week then to return, but it looks to me as it's growing. All this has happened within the past 3/4 days.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
the vet seems to think that it is definitely not a cyst
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello again,

If this came up overnight, then a cyst isn't likely (and it doesn't look like one). Still if this is a lump that has suddenly appeared, then we’d need to consider trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swelling, abscesses, and insect sting induced allergic reactions for Bowie.

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance of a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle with our supportive care, then we'd need to think about those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma was most likely and pain relief/ anti-inflammatories can be used to settle the swelling. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider those initial sudden onset concerns. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for Bowie.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Hello again,

It doesn't look cystic there either and again the above would be our concerns. Though if its been there a few days, then abscess is most likely but possible fatty lump or benign growth (though not common).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

vet seems to think that it is definitely not a cyst

Hello again,

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Sorry, I didn't understand...what above would be your concerns?

Hi again,

An abscess would be a top concern given his age but other issues that could appear similarly would be a hematoma, soft tissue swelling, benign growth (ie fatty lump or histiocytoma), or insect sting induced allergic reactions. But with the above, we can rule out some of these and an aspiration would help us do so further if needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.