Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Itching and bumps, Dallas 12 weeks, Can I send pic

Customer Question
Itching and bumps Veterinarian's...

Itching and bumps

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Dallas 12 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dallas?

Can I send pic

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Where are these skin changes on the body?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you post your photo? To do so, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Showing signs a few days. We have only used Blue Dawn soap on her to help with fleas.

Hello again,

Now if you are seeing fleas, then we would be best to use a proper flea spot on for her (she is old enough for Advantage II and Multi, Frontline, etc). Dish soap is fine for spot killing fleas but it doesn't protect them after the bath. Otherwise, as the itching and bumps are often a sign of allergic reaction in response to the flea's saliva, we'd want to take this one step further for Dallas. First if there are a few spots, we could start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). This is ideal with those scabby/raw lesions. Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation and itchiness. Otherwise, if she has quite a few, we'd be better treating from the inside out. For that, you can use an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if this is a mild allergic dermatitis the above is often all we need to do. Of course if this is severe or her signs linger, we'd want her to see her local vet for an injectable long acting anti-inflammatory to nip this in the bud before she can introduce bacteria into her skin.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.